2016年5月13日金曜日

International Movies


Last weekend I saw the new Captain America movie! It was really great. I love movies and although I don’t go to the movie theaters very often here in Japan, I was glad that I got to see this one. During the movie, I noticed that my American friend and I were laughing a lot more than the other people in the audience and I wondered why that was so. After talking about it with each other, we realized that some of the jokes probably didn’t translate well into Japanese. I feel like this could be true for most movies, that even though the dialogue can be translated, there is still an element of nuance and personality that gets left out when it’s not seen in its original language. I encountered a similar situation when I went to Disney Sea and my friends who don’t speak Japanese did not understand the jokes of some of the shows. Overall, I enjoyed going to the movies and hopefully next time I’ll get to watch a Japanese movie.

 

- Yaya Campbell