2016年2月5日金曜日

美術館:村上隆


Sarah’s Blog Post 19: February 5, 2016



I actually went to the Mori Art Museum in Roppongi two weeks ago, but I forgot to write about it. This week, I really wanted to write about it because it was such a fun experience. Takashi Murakami is one of my favorite artists. He is well-known in the United States because he designed an album cover and music video for Kanye West. He also designed a line of products for fashion designer, Louis Vuitton. I was lucky enough to see a small gallery of Takashi Murakami’s work when I lived in Los Angeles. It was one of the most memorable experiences from living in Los Angeles. When I heard he was having a big show at the Mori Art Museum, I knew I had to go see it. My favorite painting at the gallery was a picture of cartoon shaped DNA. I also liked his version of daruma because it used very traditional Japanese colors. The simplicity set it apart from his other paintings.

 
The main work on display is called “The 500 Arhats” and was painted in response to the 2011 earthquake in Fukushima. I really enjoy the work of pop artists like Takashi Murakami, Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, and Yayoi Kusama. Many of these pop artists have also influenced fashion. I think that it is great to see where fine art and fashion can intersect.