2015年10月27日火曜日

日光


Sarah’s Blog Post 7: October 27, 2015

 

Last weekend I went hiking in Nikko. It took me about three hours to get there by train. I live near San Francisco in California so I am used to living in the city, but I still spent a lot of time in the town where I grew up. Pleasanton, my hometown, is a suburb so it is close to places with a lot of nice nature scenery. Sometimes when I am in Tokyo, I miss being able to go on hikes.

 
Nikko is in Tochigi, so it isn’t as crowded as Tokyo. When I got there, it looked like some people were having a wedding ceremony on the Shinkyo Bridge. I really enjoyed being able to see some of the small shrines in the mountains. Japan has many more lakes and rivers than California as well, so it was nice to see such beautiful things that I don’t get the chance to see in California. Nikko is famous for the 三猿, but I didn’t get to see them. I saw a bonsai show instead and ate hashiyaki and black sesame ice cream. There are still many lakes, waterfalls, shrines, and shops that I didn’t get to see this time. Nikko is a world heritage site, so I would definitely like to go to Nikko again.