2016年11月24日木曜日

日本でのThanksgiving と 初雪   ---マーレン先生


A few days ago I had my first Thanksgiving in Japan. About forty people from America, Japan, and Australia all came together to celebrate. We had so many different dishes! It was fun to see traditional American holiday food like a turkey, mashed potatoes, and bread rolls next to other cultures foods like sushi, white rice, vegemite, and mashed radish. It truly was a mixing of cultures! I talked about the experiences in my classes and my students said that American Thanksgiving sounded a lot like the Japanese New Year Feast. I’m looking forward to comparing the two!

 

Today it snowed in November for the first time in 52 years! I am from a state that does not get a lot of snow, so this weather is very different! It is exciting to see the bright red leaves against the white of the snow. I can imagine how beautiful it will be in a few months. It also really felt like Christmas, which is perfect for the end of Thanksgiving celebrations.