2016年10月21日金曜日

日本とアメリカの学校の相違点ーーーエマ先生


21 October 2016

Differences between American and Japanese schools

While settling into my job at Fujimura, I have been taking note of some differences between schools in America and schools in Japan. In some ways American and Japanese schools are quite similar, and in other ways they are very different. Here are a few of the biggest differences that I have noticed so far:

·         In American schools, the teachers stay in one classroom, and the students move around from classroom to classroom. Because of this, there is no teacher’s room in American schools. Personally, I like the community aspect of the teacher’s room. But, I would have liked to have my own classroom, just so that I could decorate it!

·         There are no school chores for students in America -all of the cleaning is done by janitors. I think it’s great that Japanese students take ownership in their school and help clean.

·         Clubs are more serious and time-intensive in Japan, compared to school clubs in America. All the clubs that I was in in high school only met once a week. I’m very impressed with students who have club practice every single day!

·         Most schools in America use whiteboards instead of blackboards.

·         Students at Fujimura are responsible for getting to school by themselves, but in America most students get to school by school bus.

·         In America, High School is required for everyone, and there are no entrance exams.

·         There is no Bunkasai at schools in America! I think this is a shame, because I thought that Bunkasai was very fun.  

It is very interesting to work in a school system that is so different from what I’m used to. I think that there are pluses and minuses to each system. I am excited to learn more about the Japanese school system, and hopefully take some good ideas back to America with me.