2016年3月4日金曜日

Graduation


This week I was attended the high school graduation and it was sad to see the third-years go. Although I could only understand some of what was being said, it was nice to be there for this important event. Throughout the day, I found myself reminiscing of my own high school graduation. One thing I noticed that was a bit different between my high school graduation and Fujimura’s is the order of what takes place at the ceremony. Here the diplomas and awards were given out first and the speeches were done towards the end of the event. Whereas my own graduation was quite the opposite; the speeches are given at the beginning and the awards are given out at the end. Regardless of the minute details, the ceremonies share the same purpose: to honor and celebrate the graduating students. My favorite part of the ceremony was getting to clap for the students as they walked out of the gym. Seeing these students and the range of emotions on their faces made me proud of them even if I don’t know them very well. After the processions were done, I was fortunate to be able to say a last congratulations and farewell to the seniors who were in the International Club. I’m excited for their next phase in life where they’ll get to know themselves a little better with each challenge and success. All in all, I hope for the best the graduated students and I am glad I was able to see a graduation ceremony in Japan.