2016年6月17日金曜日

Real Hawaiian Food


A few weeks ago, I went to a Hawaiian food restaurant and it actually had real Hawaiian food! Most people think Hawaiian food is just burgers and pancakes, but that’s actually more American food and not Hawaiian. I was a little unsure about how it would match up to my food standards, but I was happily surprised. There is so much more to Hawaiian food than the world realizes and I’m glad this tiny restaurant was able to do it justice.

As an appetizer I ordered poke, which is pieces of raw fish mixed with sauces and other flavoring spices. For my main dish, I ordered a kalua pig and rice plate, which also came with some side dishes. Kalua pig is shredded pork that is usually slow cooked and flavored using salt. The side dishes were lomi salmon and mac salad. Lomi salmon is diced tomatoes, onions, and salmon, flavored with salt and green onions. Mac salad is a macaroni pasta salad with mayonnaise, salt, and black pepper. This mac salad was a little different because it had potatoes, so I didn’t care for it too much. Other than that, the food was great. They also had hurricane popcorn, which is a Hawaii-style flavored popcorn. It’s usually just melted butter and furikake, and it’s really delicious. Even though the food was a little expensive, I was really happy with the flavor of the food and the service. It was a great dinner.

 

- Yaya Campbell