2017年3月9日木曜日

高校卒業式(アメリカとの相違)---エマ先生


Last week, I attended the high school graduation ceremony at Fujimura. It was my first time to see a graduation ceremony in Japan, and I found it very interesting to compare it to graduation ceremonies in the United States. The ceremonies in each country are fairly similar, but with a few differences. To me, the Japanese graduation ceremony seemed very serious. Graduates wore their school uniforms and flower corsages. In the United States, students wear special graduation caps and gowns, and their choice of formal clothing underneath their gowns. When the students walk into the ceremony, a “class song” chosen by the students is played. Graduates walk onto stage to receive their diplomas, and shake hands with the principal. There is usually lots of clapping and cheering from friends and family in the audience. Once everyone has received their diplomas, students turn the tassels on their caps from right to left, and then throw their caps up in the air in the celebration. It is a very light-hearted and joyful affair. At the end of the ceremony at Fujimura, I saw some girls crying as they walked out of the gym. This reminded me of my own high school graduation – I definitely cried during my ceremony. Regardless of what country you are in, graduating high school is a big deal, and the students should feel very proud.

 

- Emma Sletteland