2019年2月11日月曜日

草津旅行 (キャロル先生)


                                Trip to Kusatsu

I heard so much about Gunma that I really wanted to take a trip up there during the winter to see the snow and visit the many onsens scattered around the area. I decided to get a bus to Kusatsu, which is famous for its many onsens and hot springs. It was about a four hour journey to Kusatsu on a bus from Shinjuku. I couldn’t believe how beautiful it was when I arrived.

I climbed the steep steps to the shrine in the center of the town but I was nervous because of the amount of snow and ice there was. It took me longer than I thought it would but was definitely worth it when I reached the top. Outside the bus station there was a foot bath waiting for visitors to take a dip in. I strolled around the main town and dipped my feet into a foot bath beside Yubatake hot spring. The water is said to have strong therapeutic and anti-bacterial powers. The steam from the water was amazing to look at and at night the whole area was lit up to give an eerie, spooky feel.

I went to an outdoor onsen with the surrounding snow covered hills staring at me as I relaxed in the hot water. It was so refreshing to get in and out of the water with the contrasting temperatures. I felt so relaxed afterwards and had some nice, hot food in the town. The next morning I visited one more onsen, this one was indoors and was situated in a big wooden building. There was an area to relax in afterwards whereby you could look at the whole town, it was really beautiful to see. It was a long journey back to Tokyo but I was so relaxed after my morning onsen that I slept for most of the journey home. I was especially pleased that the onsens were tattoo friendly too which really makes me want to visit Kusatsu again in the near future.